Night Guards in Charlotte, NC
What may seem like an annoyance to some people is, in reality, a potentially serious dental condition. It's called bruxism or night time tooth grinding, and while the noise may drive a spouse or parent crazy, the real problems are wear, damage to tooth enamel and related medical conditions. Fortunately, dentists can offer patients a simple and relatively cost-sparing solution called a night guard.
Causes and results of tooth grinding
Both children and adults grind their teeth. While children seem to outgrow bruxism, the American Dental Association (ADA) says adults can struggle with it for years because of:
- anxiety and stress
- a misaligned bite
- sleep apnea and other sleep-related disorders
The repeated clenching and crushing forces associated with bruxism can result in:
- tooth pain and nerve sensitivity
- cracks and chips in tooth enamel
- tooth loss
- receding of gums
- pain in the ear, back, shoulders and neck
A night guard can be a solution
Caring for a night guard
- Brush and floss before wearing a night guard.
- Clean it with warm water and soap. Rinse it well before inserting it.
- Keep it in a perforated container to protect it and keep it flexible.
- Avoid storing it in extreme temperatures as this breaks down the material.
- Have your dentist check it for fit and wear when you go for your regular examination and cleaning.
Hockaday and Baucom DDS
Doctors Susan A. Hockaday and Jim P. Baucom are the Charlotte, North Carolina dentists who evaluate your teeth and help you decide if a night guard is right for you. Experience, expertise and a desire to see you with a beautiful, healthy and long-lasting smile--that's what you'll find at with Hockaday and Baucom DDS. Call today for an appointment: 704-553-2348.
For more information on Night Guards in the Charlotte, NC area call Hockaday & Baucom, DDS at (704) 553-2348 today!